A friend – a journalist with decades of experience – asked me about starting a podcast – but nothing too complicated. She needed a simple podcasting tool that didn’t require a lot of setting up, carrying equipment, or lots of faffing around.
I had a look around for something that is new, uncomplicated and effective. I found Opinion – an iPhone app from a Swedish company.
- You can interview
- You can record a talk piece
- You can edit the recording – proper editing not just top and tail.
- There is a music library! Hurrah! But … see below
- You can get unlimited space for <£3! The first 10 minutes is free.
- You can manage all the content from your iPhone
- Easily share content on Social Media (Twitter and Facebook) and email
- There appears to be an option to share on SoundCloud
- There is a browser version of your content anyone can see. (http://davy-sims.
- It it iTunes friendly (i.e.you can fill in minimal information and submit to iTunes – I guess you have to do that separately.
- It’s iPhone only.
- Being an iPhone you can’t easily monitor the recording.
- You can’t sign into the website.
- You can’t embed to a blog, however you can share on Twitter and embed the Tweet into the blog.
- Difficult to record a group of people.
- Initially I thought sound from the website is a bit “mid range” but having listened a bit more on different devices, I have to say, the sound is pretty good. My guess is in time they will offer “professional” service with better quality.
- … 10 minutes later the music library hasn’t loaded.