Bled, Slovenia – A Firsthand Guide
By 2022 (where I am now) some of this material has become out of date. Largely it’s OK, but there have been changes – only to be expected. I have added a short updated restaurant and cafe page from our last visit in April 2022.
One of the most popular destinations in Slovenia for travellers and holidaymakers, and one of the most beautiful places in Europe, is the lake town of Bled. The small Lake Bled, surrounded by green hills, with the old church on the only natural island in the county, is overlooked by the thousand year old Bled Castle. Full Introduction here.
These pages are intended to give visitors a firsthand guide to Bled and Lake Bled. The contributors are experienced journalists, travellers and inhabitants of Bled. Whether you are a first time visitor or have been before and want to find out more about Bled, this is for you.
This is not part of a marketing campaign; Bled’s own tourism organisation already does a fantastic job as does Slovenia’s national tourism organisation. This – of you like – is the “fanzine” rather than the official glossy magazine.
A few pages to get you started.
Hear from the people who live in Bled and help make it the place it is
- Listen to the people of Bled. Here is a podcast “Bled Stories” from people who live and work there.
- Bled’s interactive science AntiMuseum is for everyone in the family – but make an appointment to visit
- Hear about 3glav Adventures where exploration is just a moment away every day of the week. Founder, Domen tells the story.
- Using public transport anytime Bled is a convenient base to explore. As an example I explore Tržič.
- Wine making is big in Slovenia (the oldest vine in the world in in Maribor), but not much of the produce is exported. How can you find, taste and buy good Slovenian wine?
- The history of Bled’s Rowing Club reflects the history of not just Bled town, but Slovenia itself.
- It is Lea Ferjan’s job to tell the world about Bled Castle, the 1000 year old building that looks out over the lake and from where you can see to the horizon and explore the past.
Firsthand Guide to Bled, Slovenia 2018 edition
In which you can read some comments about events in Bled and Slovenian culture including Bee Keeping and the national poet Prešeren.
First and most important information about arriving by car, bus, train and motorbike. There is info about water, language and laundry. Most importantly, money, food and toilets.
Whether you are shopping for gifts or the more mundane, there are suggestions here.
Summer and winter, of course, are good times to visit Lake Bled. But there are activities to enjoy and sites to see almost all year round.
From when the Christmas Tree comes down when it is very quiet to the height of the summer season and the Christmas and new year festivities, there is always time to suit almost every visitor. What is the best time for you?
Although Christmas and new year celebrations are covered in the previous chapter, there is more details here.
Adventure Activities in Bled
Read about three providers of adventure and sports tourism